This is Olivia. She is a Princess.

This is Olivia.  She is a Princess.

Friday, June 13, 2008

It's always crazy with a new baby in the house

Our new baby is a seven-week-old ball of fluff that has yet to be named. Christian arrived for his June stay with us with a kitten in tow. This is Olivia's first time to have a kitten, and she is mesmerized. We all are. As I type, he is upside down between me and a couch pillow, watching me type. Every once in a while, he takes a swipe at my fingers, then runs away sideways, sort of hopping up and down as he goes. Then he comes back and takes a long drink from my glass of water. (Then, I go put that glass in the dishwasher, get a fresh one, and start the cycle all over.)

Still, it's great to have a kitten in the house. Wicka was almost a year old when I got him. I can't remember the last time I had a kitten around, so I'm as giddy over this little guy as Olivia is.

Wicka, however, is less giddy. Considerably less giddy. So much less giddy that it seems inappropriate to even use the word "giddy" in the same sentence with "Wicka". But, ever the trooper, he has soldiered on, only hissing in self-defense since the kitten sees Wicka's tail as a fascinating feathered toy.

It is going to be a little sad for us (well, not for Wicka) when June ends and this little guy goes to live with Christian full-time. We are getting attached to him but, in some ways, this has that great feeling of spoiling someone else's child and then sending him home to his parents.

And I can do that with reckless abandon because I am sure that no one would ever do the same to me.

1 comment:

Aunt Ronya said...

Of course not-she will be the perfect angel after spending a whole week with her INDIANA family!
Poor little Cinderella will have to work the whole time she is here and will be thrilled to get back home! We probably won't get her any birthday presents either!
Aunt Ronya